PDA

View Full Version : Paystin's Chaotic "Switch"

website security

paystin
05-13-2012, 10:51 AM
So the guys at Chaotic Crawlers showed me their new chassis design (Switch Bodiless) a few months ago and asked if I would like to "switch" to the new design.

Although I liked the design of the new chassis, my Chaotic "special" was working really well so I was a little hesitant. Then the whole carbon fiber, new link geometry, adjustable cab and just wanting to have a new shiny toy got to me.

Here's what I started with- Chaotic Crawlers "Special" chassis. This chassis has been good to me for this crawling season putting me in first place for the points series with one comp to go.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/paystin/Chaotic%20switch/IMG_0279.jpg

Here's what I have now- Chaotic Crawler's "Switch" chassis.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/paystin/Chaotic%20switch/IMG_0284.jpg

Forward-
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/paystin/Chaotic%20switch/Switch20with20Axles20-1.jpg

Back-
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/paystin/Chaotic%20switch/Switch20with20Axles20-3.jpg

Another great idea is the one piece skid design. No more bottom mounting screws or posts to loosten up. Just a well thought out feature.
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/paystin/Chaotic%20switch/Switch20Skid20-201.jpg

The beauty of getting this chassis is it took me less than an hour to transfer everything over from the "special" to the "switch". Same links and same shocks so it was just a matter of unbolting the old and putting them onto the new.

Everything went together easily on the new chassis. The fit and finish is perfect and the carbon fiber is very good quality.

Here's what I'm running on the new chassis.-
Chaotic Crawlers"Switch" chassis with aluminum hardware- http://www.chaoticcrawlers.com/chassis-switch.html

Chaotic Crawlers titanium link set- http://www.chaoticcrawlers.com/Special-links.html
The answers is yes, the links for the "special" chassis work for the "switch" chassis.

Chaotic Crawlers titanium steering rod (straight version)- http://www.chaoticcrawlers.com/xr10-...-titanium.html

Electronics-
Dual Castle Sidewinder Micro ESC's
HiTec 7950 servo
Holmes Hobbies 16t CrawlMaster Pro motors
Castle BEC

Shocks-
Axial SCX- 50 wt all around with Losi Mini-T springs (silver) up front and Losi MRC (silver) in the rear.
Front shocks-2nd hole from the front- Upper set of holes.
Rear Shocks- 3rd hole from the rear- Lower set of holes.
Ride height is 3" at the front and 3 1/8" at the rear.

Links-
Front- 2nd hole from the bottom- Inner set of holes.
Rear- 2nd hole from the top- Inner set of holes.

With the new, light weight trend going on, I thought I would lighten it up a bit and see how it performed. I have no desire to get below the 5lb. range like a lot of people are doing so I was happy that it is sitting at 5.2lbs (from 5.7 lbs. previously). I lost about an oz. of weight in the chassis swap and another 3+ oz. in taking out the wheel weights from the DH wheels. The final oz. came in changing out the rear VP lockouts for the stock plastic ones.

So how does it work? I ran a few packs through it yesterday and I was very surprised, if not shocked at how great it did for the intitial setup. It felt very planted, controlled, it climbed great and flowed over the rocks extremely well. I can honestly say I was VERY HAPPY with how it worked. The few minor issues I had with the "special" chassis are now gone with the "switch".

Please enjoy my 2:00 a.m., rattle can paint job.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/paystin/Chaotic%20switch/IMG_0289.jpg

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/paystin/Chaotic%20switch/IMG_0293.jpg

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/paystin/Chaotic%20switch/IMG_0294.jpg

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/paystin/Chaotic%20switch/IMG_0292.jpg

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/paystin/Chaotic%20switch/IMG_0301.jpg

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/paystin/Chaotic%20switch/IMG_0300.jpg

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/paystin/Chaotic%20switch/IMG_0305.jpg

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/paystin/Chaotic%20switch/IMG_0304.jpg

Love the Carbon Fiber in the sun.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/paystin/Chaotic%20switch/IMG_0303.jpg

Illeagle
05-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Looks great Chris but you installed your roof and hood panels on backwards. :roll_lol:

paystin
05-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Looks great Chris but you installed your roof and hood panels on backwards. :roll_lol:

Nope, that's how it looks from 2nd place.:purpledance:

Like I said jackass, It was 2:00 a.m and I hate painting.

Illeagle
05-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Ouch I got :emot-owned:

Lmao, I still think you need to SWITCH them around.

(that avatar is SO you)

AxialNut
05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Nice comp rig!

Rcjunky3
05-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Very nice looking chris

paystin
05-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Ouch I got :emot-owned:

Lmao, I still think you need to SWITCH them around.

(that avatar is SO you)

You might get your wish Hollywood!

Nice comp rig!

Thanks!

Very nice looking chris

Thanks Rich. So far, so good!

paystin
05-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Small update. Axial hooked me up with a few parts including some aluminum SCX shocks. I've been wanting these for awhile and I'm glad I finally have them.

I thought this thing was smooth before but now it's rediculous. Looking forward to Saturday's series finale.:party2:

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/paystin/Chaotic%20switch/2012-05-14203133.jpg

Crawl it Slow!
05-15-2012, 11:40 AM
lookin GOOD

big dude
05-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Small update. Axial hooked me up with a few parts including some aluminum SCX shocks.

so you got each of us a set ......yes?

paystin
05-15-2012, 05:06 PM
so you got each of us a set ......yes?
Uuummmmmm....ya, sure. I'll totally bring them on Saturday.

001Hulk
08-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Just ordered me up a switch chassis along with sme links!! Im also planning on swapling out the dual fxr's and throwi g in some micro sidewinders. Gonna try out some boss claws on a pair of "ultra super leight weights" (i lghtened up a pair of my slw's). Still not sure but thinking about runnin the big bores. I may have some questions after a bit but curious if your set up remains he same as it was in the previous post? Any help is appreciated, thanks Chris!!

paystin
08-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Just ordered me up a switch chassis along with sme links!! Im also planning on swapling out the dual fxr's and throwi g in some micro sidewinders. Gonna try out some boss claws on a pair of "ultra super leight weights" (i lghtened up a pair of my slw's). Still not sure but thinking about runnin the big bores. I may have some questions after a bit but curious if your set up remains he same as it was in the previous post? Any help is appreciated, thanks Chris!!

Hey Matt, I think you'll be really happy with the Switch chassis.

Here's my current setup- I've messed around with a bunch of different setups but I keep going back to this one.

Front upper links- 2nd hole from the bottom (inner set of holes) middle hole on the VP link mount
Rear upper links- 2nd hole from the top (inner set of holes) upper hole on the VP link mount.

Shocks- SCX with 45 wt oil in all 4 shocks
Front- 2nd hole in (top set of holes). Losi mini t silver springs
Rear- 3rd hole in (bottom set of holes). Losi MRC silver springs.

I'm using VP SLW's on all my tires. I have 1.75oz of weight on the front axle (each side) and nothing else in the tires.

Let me know if you have any questions when you get everything all setup.

Chris

001Hulk
08-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Thanks Chris,:thumbs:really looking forward to getting this puppy all together:drool:. Im almost as excited about running my new electronics as I am the new chassis. I was so over my FXR's and the so called "drag brake". My scaler that was running the micro sidewinder and weighed TWICE:icon_eek: as much and had only one motor to brake with stopped on a dime on an incline or decline!! That was the eye opener so I bought another to be reasy for the swap. Im a little worried its gonna look ALOT like your setup because ill be running the scx plastic shocks for awhile until my buddy finds the time to shave some weight off my big bores with his lathe. On the other hand it will show how two very similar cars finish at totally different ends of the score sheet (urs close to the top and mine close to the bttm!!:doh::doh:) due to driver skill level!! I should have some feedback after this weekend:punk:!! Thanks again for the setup updates and all the help!!

HARDKNOCKZ
08-23-2012, 06:57 AM
Right on. Glad you went with the Switch. I saw a post where you mentioned the SA. Glad to see ya came over from the dark side.

001Hulk
08-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Right on. Glad you went with the Switch. I saw a post where you mentioned the SA. Glad to see ya came over from the dark side.

For some stupid resaon I thouht the links from the BJ V4 were gonna be a direct swap to the SA but obviously werent!! So with no savings by going that route and a little birdy (thanks Rich) telling me how happy the chaotic guys have been, i figured it was time to SWITCH it up!!! My only hope now is to do the chassis justice.

HARDKNOCKZ
08-23-2012, 08:07 AM
For some stupid resaon I thouht the links from the BJ V4 were gonna be a direct swap to the SA but obviously werent!! So with no savings by going that route and a little birdy (thanks Rich) telling me how happy the chaotic guys have been, i figured it was time to SWITCH it up!!! My only hope now is to do the chassis justice.[/QUOTE]

Once you have it setup...the chassis almost drives the rig for you. If ya get a chance...check out the vid I shot of this chassis at work. I'm currently working on a new video that'll include the Vanilla Gorilla & HIS switcharoo.

Here be that flick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYZEK_pdKAI&feature=player_embedded[QUOTE=001Hulk;15541]

paystin
08-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks Chris,:thumbs:really looking forward to getting this puppy all together:drool:. Im almost as excited about running my new electronics as I am the new chassis. I was so over my FXR's and the so called "drag brake". My scaler that was running the micro sidewinder and weighed TWICE:icon_eek: as much and had only one motor to brake with stopped on a dime on an incline or decline!! That was the eye opener so I bought another to be reasy for the swap. Im a little worried its gonna look ALOT like your setup because ill be running the scx plastic shocks for awhile until my buddy finds the time to shave some weight off my big bores with his lathe. On the other hand it will show how two very similar cars finish at totally different ends of the score sheet (urs close to the top and mine close to the bttm!!:doh::doh:) due to driver skill level!! I should have some feedback after this weekend:punk:!! Thanks again for the setup updates and all the help!!

No worries on the similiarities in setups. Hell, J.D had to copy mine too just so he could make his little video.

I plan on being at all of the comps starting in September, so I look forward to seeing yours running with the rest of us.

001Hulk
08-23-2012, 10:45 AM
No worries on the similiarities in setups. Hell, J.D had to copy mine too just so he could make his little video.

I plan on being at all of the comps starting in September, so I look forward to seeing yours running with the rest of us.

Right on, thats good to know!! Are you guys drilling a small hole in your shock caps? I have read some do and some dont. I never did on my big bores because I had bought the wicked wolf caps and didnt wanna trash em!!

001Hulk
08-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Right on, thats good to know!! Are you guys drilling a small hole in your shock caps? I have read some do and some dont. I never did on my big bores because I had bought the wicked wolf caps and didnt wanna trash em!!

Nevermind!:slam::slam::slam: this is the first time ive pulled any SCX shocks apart and just realizing there is no bladder so no need for a hole!! :doh:
How about a shock with a bladder though? Do you prefer the drilled cap then?

paystin
08-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Nevermind!:slam::slam::slam: this is the first time ive pulled any SCX shocks apart and just realizing there is no bladder so no need for a hole!! :doh:
How about a shock with a bladder though? Do you prefer the drilled cap then?

:gogo::gogo: I have never gotten a good feel for Big Bores. Maybe because I don't drill a hole in them or maybe because I can't build them right. I just prefer the SCX shocks.

Slowroller
08-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Looks good Chris, I'm doing a total rebuild... it looks very tempting. At this point it can only help my driving haha.

HARDKNOCKZ
08-24-2012, 12:49 AM

Yup. I had my chassis BEFORE Chris...had my rig BUILT BEFORE Chris but I "copied him." See, what I did was...I called Dion Warwick & her Psychic Friends & asked em how THE GREAT & WONDERFUL PAYSTIN WOULD HAVE HIS SWITCH PUT TOGETHER. So there ya have it. I admitted the truth.

Another funny thing is I have quite a bit of footage with my rig...you know, the one that I built after copying Chris...pulling line after line after line yet on that SAME footage...Chris's rig flopped & it flailed & it fell & it rolled & it lifted & it...well you get the point. So seeing as I "copied Chris's build", that must mean...um...I dunno Chrissie pooo...what DOES that mean?

The TRUTH is...we SHARED setup ideas & continue to do so to this day. I have a few things different in my setup & vice versa but when something's not working on either rig, we'll usually talk about it & see where the other guys setup is at. For example...Chris came out to Tehachapi to crawl on some big boy rock instead of the Orange County concrete & pea gravel he usually drives on & his rig was working TERRIBLE. I suggested he try putting oil in his shocks. Not heavier oil. Not lighter oil. OIL!!! And WAM!!! Whatta ya know...his works purty good now. Thats just we roll.

J.D.

001Hulk
08-24-2012, 06:43 AM
:gogo::gogo: I have never gotten a good feel for Big Bores. Maybe because I don't drill a hole in them or maybe because I can't build them right. I just prefer the SCX shocks.

Ha! Funny you should say that, i have always had a littl trouble with them when assembling. By the same token, i had even more trouble filling the SCX shocks. I could only get them 2/3 roughly full while still being able to compress the shock all the way, does that sou d rt to you? Not a whole lot of experience playing with RC shocks!! Everybodys input is appreciated. Thanx guys!!

HARDKNOCKZ
08-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Yeah...by the time you bleed the SCX shocks, they're not quite full. Thats the drawback of non bladdered shocks & the main reason I don't run em inverted. When upside down, your piston is sitting in that air pocket, making the beginning of the stroke undampened & a little unpredictable.

J.D.

001Hulk
08-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Well just about everything i ordered showed up today. I got my comms all shaved and new brushes on, motors are fresh now. I went throuh through both trannys and freshened those up. Chassis is together setup for body mounts vs the cab. Only thing is the chaotic links dont seem to look quite like yours in the uppers. Im havving a heck of a time trying to figure out how to make the rear squat all the way without bottoming out on the upper links at the rear most chassis cross brace. Im wo dering if I need to put longer rod ends on the shocks. They measure 3 1/2" ext rt now.

HARDKNOCKZ
08-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Actually...it looks like you have the front lowers in place of the rear uppers. Your rear uppers should look like this...

It's kinda hard to tell from the one pic but that's how it looks to me.

J.D.

HARDKNOCKZ
08-25-2012, 09:10 AM
I just remembered...Chaotic made some changes to the upper links. I have a set of the new bends here somewhere but just haven't felt the need to change em out so my previous post MIGHT be wr......wr-wr......wr-wr-wr....wr-wr-wr-wroooo.

Not exactamundo.

The FONZ :perfect:

BTW Sit on Potzie...I mean Chris.

001Hulk
08-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Duh!!!! That makes whole lot more sense!! I swear thats how the links were marked with thier tags. Thanks JD for helping me see the light. I posted before I was ready to turn in. This should help get the morning rolling in the rt direction! I hope that they were labled wrong and that ur right because the old style sure seems the accomodate the back of the chassis more. Ill know after I get started this korning

001Hulk
08-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Also, are u guys using standoffs on the upper links at the chassis side? Longer rod ends on the bttm of the shocks? A couple mote pics would be real helpful (maybe without the skinz if its not too much trouble?) Thanks again for any and all help

001Hulk
08-27-2012, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=HARDKNOCKZ;15580]Actually...it looks like you have the front lowers in place of the rear uppers. Your rear uppers should look like this...

Well after much swapping flipping and re arranging i came up with

Now these look pretty close to what you guys are running. Funny though because these are the front lowers out of my CC BJV4 links!! I cant figure out why they changed them and how they expect them to work with the size shock they reccomend. With thier new style links in place the rear can only squat a small i mean SMALL amount before the chassis rear cross brace comes in contact with the upper links. Not sure if thats thier intention or not? As it sits rt now my rear seems alot softer than the front with where the shocks are positioned. Im not sure if this is how your setup feels as well but seemed odd to me. Anyways its coming along!

paystin
08-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Send a pic of the front uppers as well. I cant really picture what you're saying without seeing it.

001Hulk
08-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Send a pic of the front uppers as well. I cant really picture what you're saying without seeing it.

Ill get some more pics up soon as i get home. The first thing i was referring to was the change chaotic made to thier links, primarily the uppers. The new version of links I recieved dont seem to allow as much squat due to the rear cross brace coming in contact with the rear upper links.
The other deal with the shocks may just be my half ass attemp at filling them with oil. I had a hell of a time with bleeding them and not having crazy rebound!! Obviously still in the learning process I guess!! I just got my big bores back from thier shave so I may swap those back in but was hoping to start out with someones well tuned set up so I can see it run with good potential and start maki g my changes from there and have something to compare against. I have this buge rock pile 5 mins from home and there is a straight up climb I used to make it up with a little bit of work but seems impossible now!! Ill just have to keep on tuning untill I get it!!

HARDKNOCKZ
08-28-2012, 02:58 PM
As far as the standoffs at the chassis...I've tried it both ways. That's the way it was designed & that's how I built it but Chris didn't put his in originally only to change em later. He quickly went back to no spacers & told me to try it cuz it feels more free & he was right.

The problem is...no matter how close you build your rig to mine, Chris's or anyone elses...it may not work the same. You're running different shocks for one. Weight, bias, drive style & a host of other things are going to affect how your rig works. You can try our setups as a starting point but don't be TOO bummed if it just doesn't work super badass outta the gate.

I've been meaning to start a build thread here on the Switch & will get on it in a bit. In the meantime...check the threads over on RCC. There's a lot of great setups over thurrrrr.

BTW I sent you a PM awhile back.

J.D.

001Hulk
08-28-2012, 03:37 PM
As far as the standoffs at the chassis...I've tried it both ways. That's the way it was designed & that's how I built it but Chris didn't put his in originally only to change em later. He quickly went back to no spacers & told me to try it cuz it feels more free & he was right.

The problem is...no matter how close you build your rig to mine, Chris's or anyone elses...it may not work the same. You're running different shocks for one. Weight, bias, drive style & a host of other things are going to affect how your rig works. You can try our setups as a starting point but don't be TOO bummed if it just doesn't work super badass outta the gate.

I've been meaning to start a build thread here on the Switch & will get on it in a bit. In the meantime...check the threads over on RCC. There's a lot of great setups over thurrrrr.

BTW I sent you a PM awhile back.

J.D.

No doubt about that brotha man!!! I was just shooting for a baseline to start with cause you dudes are running similar (and between u guys u have GOBS of experience vs me who like to dive in head first) and had originally intended a similar start but that all went off course from the time opened the links. So me thinks it time to start playin with me own idears!! Ive been over to RCC as well and saw several variatio s of the switch build but again u two guys being similar and both happy gave me the urge to go that direction. I got ur PM but still had lots to do before I could ask any real questions. I was probably workin on 5 diifferent things at once! Thanks for all your guys tips and help!! Also sorry for clogging up your build thread!! Title should be changed to "Paystin & Hard Knockz school the Hulk"!!

HARDKNOCKZ
08-28-2012, 03:44 PM
No doubt about that brotha man!!! I was just shooting for a baseline to start with cause you dudes are running similar (and between u guys u have GOBS of experience vs me who like to dive in head first) and had originally intended a similar start but that all went off course from the time opened the links. So me thinks it time to start playin with me own idears!! Ive been over to RCC as well and saw several variatio s of the switch build but again u two guys being similar and both happy gave me the urge to go that direction. I got ur PM but still had lots to do before I could ask any real questions. I was probably workin on 5 diifferent things at once! Thanks for all your guys tips and help!! Also sorry for clogging up your build thread!! Title should be changed to "Paystin & Hard Knockz school the Hulk"!!

No worries. If you're having issues by the comp next weekend...get there early & we'll see if we can't iron em out.

paystin
08-28-2012, 08:36 PM
I'll look at it at the comp next weekend. Just make sure to bring all of the links that chaotic sent you.

We'll get it figured out.:perfect:

001Hulk
09-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Well here are a couple shots of the new style rear uppers. I left one of my BJ front lowers I have been running on there so you can see the two side by side.2001200220032004

HARDKNOCKZ
09-21-2012, 06:46 AM
MUCH better.

SkaldidDog
09-21-2012, 09:06 AM

Really? That explains why your rig is always floppin' and flailin' (and sailin') all over the place!:wink2:

Miss you sweetcakes!