Thread: Hello figured I better introduce my self.

WCRCC Club Member

Hello figured I better introduce my self.

The proper name is Shad. Have been into rc racing for about 20 years off and on. Found a good deal on a slightly used scx10 at a pawn shop about a month ago and picked up and took it out to my favorite place to go shooting and tried it out and Im hooked. I have always been into my jeeps and exploring but just realized I have been missing out. Since last month I picked up a second scx 10 and am looking for aftermarket parts cause stock sucks. I tried to make the oct 4th meet but work prevailed or should I say a boss prevailed. But really want to make the next one for sure. Would like to meet everyone and mostly get a look under there hoods to see what they are running!!! Just kidding. First thing im looking for is shocks and the correct springs. If you have any suggestions please let me know what you run. Be descriptive. Oil/ weight, brand and what shocks you are using. Thanks. I just payed my dues so I am limited to how many post I can put up so pm me if I stop responding. Thanks and really look forward to meeting you all.

Actually out of all the rigs I have built the majority of the time I have just stayed with stock scx shocks, oil and springs. A few rigs I have power strokes but only cause at the time I needed shocks and I got them cheap. I can't see spending a bunch on certain things like shocks when stockers work great. Areas like steering knuckles, chubs and universals to gain more steering are way more beneficial as I have experienced in my years

WCRCC Club Member
    The stock shocks on the g6 I got from the pawn shop are really good compared to the second truck I picked up off graiglist. They are really stiff and had the rig sitting really hi and would not flex at all. It always had one wheel in the air. Driving over the smallest bump. I cut two coils off each spring and its working alot better. What oil do you use in the shocks? What spring do you prefer soft hard ? Im guessing a softer spring. Right now Im going to replace things when they break. I have alot of extra parts that came with the two trucks so im going to use them up before I start buying more. What millimeters power strokes do you have ? To me rock crawlers seem to be too light? So any mod that keeps a low center of gravity and extra weight up front and low would help with traction and keeping the front end down.
    Last edited by kaiser552; 10-12-2014 at 11:01 PM.

Welcome to the club Shad! Hope to see you at an event soon.
    Don't forget to have fun!
    TEAM WCRCC

WCRCC Club Member
    Thanks looking forward to it.

most all the scx10 chassis vehicles have the same shock the only difference is a few of the newer ones now have an aluminum body with a cool little "Icon" badge on them and i think a machined piston inside. all dimensions etc are the same. put up a picture of your shock and we can take a look at whats going on, maybe somebody else changed them out.

as far as my shocks i generally assemble them with Team Associated green shock slime, put 2 wraps of teflon tape around the threads on the shock body, fill with the stock oil which is 30 wt, and stock springs, medium "green" on the large and super soft "red" on the smaller. on the powerstrokes you asked about they are the ones designed for scx10 vehicles

WCRCC Staff Volunteer
    I had a really bad time with the scx shocks leaking and had a couple of the guys tell me to use the associated green slime, still leaked. I change to the king shocks mainly for looks and use the slime and put 5 or drops of shock oil in. So far I'm happy with it. I tear it down and rebuild often, I like doing the tear downs as much as driving. See you on the trail soon.

WCRCC Club Member
    [URL=http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/kaiser552/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141012_224017_zps4rndcllx.jpg.html][/URL,
    these are the shocks. The problem was the springs are extra hard or stiff. When one end of the truck was flexing the opposite end would have a wheel in the air. = shocks springs to stiff. So for now or until i can find some softer springs i cut two coils off the spring now I can keep 3 tires on the ground when crawling over obstacles. You should be able to see the spring in the pic. It had four coils on either end and I cut two off the top. that released the spring tension. They work as good as a set of stock shocks. I think they are better than stock set now.
    NEVER DOUBT THAT A SMALL GROUP OF THOUGHTFUL COMMITTED CITIZENS CAN CHANGE THE WORLD. INDEED IT'S THE ONLY THING THAT EVER HAS.
    -MARGARET MEAD

If your shocks aren't moving, it's because they are full of oil. Take the cap off, fill with oil, place cap on but don't tighten, push the shaft in, tighten cap. Then put the spring on and they will stay out. Filling them completely full will hydraulically lock them.

If they are leaking, just flip them over. Gets weight lower and keeps the orings from leaking.

I run my shocks one of two ways. With 100k diff fluid, or empty. I like them to have slow action. On scx10, I run no droop and run Springs that keep them maxed out per the weight of the rig.

Truthfully, stock stinks because you have so little steering. Get more steering and better tires. Your shocks are fine, even empty

Get some grub screws in those axles!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by z50king; 10-12-2014 at 11:03 PM.

WOO WEE!
    Shocks? Ask 10 people how to run them and you will get 20 different answers.
    -What I run and don't run
    I Don't run: a racing Diaphragm type shock on my Scale crawlers. Not going fast Don't need to absorb bumps and ruts. Do run them on my Wraith.
    I Do Run: SCX10
    -Stock Axial Aluminum shocks with machined pistons assembled with Green Slime and 1/2 full 30w oil.
    -Losi Crawler shocks: $50 for all 4. Smooth and a large selection of springs available. May be too long for some use. Again 30W oil 1/2 full
    -Currently Running internall spring RC4WD Super Lift Scale shocks on SCX10
    90mm Rear and 100mm Front No oil just Green Slime when assembled. Optional springs are available. Had to install stiffer springs in front shocks to handle all the fwd weight.
    For over all crawling/trailing Like to have my shock load set with the piston 1/2 way thru travel with weight of vehicle at rest.

Defiantly don't fill a NON diaphragm shock up to the top. You will be running on a hydraulic strut that doesn't want to move. And when forced to the oil has to to be displaced somewhere so its usually blown out the shaft side of shock and leaks.

WCRCC Club Member
    Thanks for the info I have ran my shocks both of those ways also dry and oiled. I purchased the truck off craiglist. The guy I got it from has put very stiff springs on the shock. The truck was really bouncy when I picked it up I went thru and checked the shocks when I got home. He had then oiled correctly. And I went thru the steps you mentioned after I took the caps off. The springs are just to stiff. If the front right tire was off the ground two inches the back right tire would be off the ground about 1/2 inch or little less. The shocks are expanding just fine when I push down on them and release. After I cut the spring the spring the truck handles great the bounce is gone. And the front and rear end are able to flex over obstacles. Thanks for all the ideas and info.
    NEVER DOUBT THAT A SMALL GROUP OF THOUGHTFUL COMMITTED CITIZENS CAN CHANGE THE WORLD. INDEED IT'S THE ONLY THING THAT EVER HAS.
    -MARGARET MEAD

Hey guys what size are the grub screws that go into the top of the axle? I only have a bunch of them in my box. I don't know the size

Which TOP Screws?

You can download a PDF file from Axial with a full parts break down.
    http://docs.axialracing.com/instruct...honcho-rtr.pdf

It doesn't have any in that picture. They go into the link truss when you don't run the truss. Is it called a truss? The plastic link mount

Quote Originally Posted by z50king View Post
    It doesn't have any in that picture. They go into the link truss when you don't run the truss. Is it called a truss? The plastic link mount
    What about in this pic?

Axa434

those are just 3mm button head screws. if your only trying to plug the holes in the axle case than any 3mm grub screw will work

WCRCC Club Member
    So they are 3mm wide how long? I found some 36mm screws on ebay will the 6mm length work. ?
    -MARGARET MEAD

Thread Information